Clean tiles and grout induce healthy atmosphere in your home. It also increases the longevity of your tiles. But, improper cleaning tactics can be dangerous for it.
As for instance, acidic cleansing agents are harsh on the tiles. So, using them means killing the glossy look of your tiles. Besides, they are not hygienic. You may commit certain mistakes while cleaning. Read this blog to know the factors to avoid.
Factors to Avoid While Cleaning Tiles and Grout
The points shared below will tell you about the common mistakes and what you need to do.
1. Avoid to Use Excessive Water: Many people think more water means more cleanliness. Hence, they use lot of water to clean perfectly. However, excessive water is not good for tiles. The porosity of grout absorb the excess water. It, in turn, triggers the growth of bacteria and molds. These germs are responsible for the growth of innumerable diseases. The trapped water inside the narrow spaces of tiles affect the lifespan of your tiles too. So, make sure you’re not using huge water to clean.
2. Say No to Ammonia and Bleach: Never use bleach and ammonia-based cleansing agents. Plenty of mild cleansing agents are available in the market. These mild agents are potential enough to give you the desired results. On the contrary, bleach and ammonia cleansing agents can fade the colour of the tiles. This discoloration process may take time to create a noticeable change. But, it will surely happen overtime. It’s better to ask the manufacturer about the cleansing agent to be used. Prefer to go with mild agents always.
3. Never Let the Spills to Set for Days: It’s obvious that your tiles will have stains. But, these stains should be removable. Never allow the spills to set on the tiles for days. Rather, clean them immediately. Ignored spills are very tough to remove. Hire a professional to do the task if you have no time for it. The spills should be removed on a regular basis. However, you can go for a deep cleaning occasionally.
4. Vacuum Beater’s Bar are Bad Options: Never opt for a vacuum beater’s bar. Its use may develop scratches on the tiles. Tiles are hard. Generally, the button of vacuum’s shut off the beater bar. Hence, it fades the finish of the tiles. As such, the tiles get an old and dull look.
5. Don’t Forget to Seal: Sealing and caulking are significant parts of tiles and grout cleaning. Caulk the tiles’ surfaces to prevent its exposure to huge water. Inspect the caulk periodically. Make sure it’s not going to leak soon. Seal to prevent the damage of the grout. These activities will help you to make your tiles resistant to stain. Check the instructions of your manufacturer to know the sealer type you need. Talk to the manufacturer to know the sealing process well.
6. Regular Mopping and Sweeping: Buildup of dirt are the worst foes for tiles. Regular sweeping and mopping can prevent the damage of the finish. Mop the tiles once in a week. Sweep them every day to maintain its appearance.
7. Skip To Use Oil-Based Cleaners: Glazed tiles have a tendency to get slippery easily. So, avoid using oil-based cleaner. Oil-based cleaners may make your tiles look great at the initial stage. But it will add to its slippery nature.
Use Doormat For Every Room
Your foot is the main carrier of dirt and germs. Clean the foot properly before you step on the tiles. Keep a doormat in front of every room. Use them every time you enter a room.
The Bottom Line
You surely have spent long hours to choose your favorite tiles. But, you may not be able to spent time in cleaning it. So, there is a high chance that you complete this cleaning task hurriedly.
Tiles require maintenance and your time. Read all theinstructions carefully to clean them without causing any damage. Don’t take any risk with the grout sealing process.
Better, hire a professional. A professional has knowledge about different cleaning, caulking, and sealing methods. Make sure your selected company is reliable and has years of experience in this field.